For those of you planning to take the February LSAT next month, listen up because today is an important day. It’s the last chance you have to register if you have not done so already – so if you don’t sign up by 11:59pm tonight, you’ll have to wait until June for your chance to tackle the LSAT.
Today is also the deadline to change your LSAT test center or push back your LSAT test date. Well, kinda. It’s the deadline for mail (snail that is), phone, or fax — so those of you who don’t know what a computer is, need to break out your typewriter and parchment and find some equestrianly inclined fellow to deliver your letter to the LSAC. Just make sure it’s postmarked today. For everyone else, especially those of you reading this blog online, you have until this Sunday, January 22, to change your test center or test date online at LSAC.org. It’ll cost you — $35 to change your test center and $68 to change your LSAT test date — but if it saves you having to drive to Fresno because you signed up late and all the test centers close to you were full, it’s worth it. Hell, I’d pay twice that to not have to go to Fresno.
And lastly, today is the deadline to withdraw your registration completely for a partial refund (of course). You’ll get most of your LSAT registration cost back, minus $48.
Now before you go and make any serious decisions about pushing your test date back because you don’t feel ready right now, there are some things you should consider first. We’re still three weeks out from the February LSAT, and a lot can change in three weeks. There is still more than enough time to progress significantly; in fact, many students find they make the most progress in these final weeks of class, as we switch from introducing new methods to reviewing and mastering the methods we’ve already covered. Plus, even though it’s the deadline to change your test date, you can still cancel your registration up until the day before the LSAT without any mark on your record. Sure you’ll lose your $138 registration fee entirely, but that’s a much better outcome than pushing your test back, only to find yourself scoring in your goal range, ready to take the February LSAT in three weeks but unable because you postponed. How much would that suck? Risking the loss of $138 (actually only $70 as the LSAC charges you $68 to postpone), seems much preferable to risking feeling prepared for the February LSAT, but having to wait four more months to take the June LSAT. No one wants to draw the LSAT out unnecessarily.
So basically, if you haven’t signed up yet (really?) go do it. Now. If you’ve already signed up, but had to settle for a crappy test center, go online Sunday and check if a better test center has opened up that you can change into. And otherwise, keep practicing. February is fast approaching – winter is coming.