October LSAT Horror Story: The Man With Mono

Halloween and LSAT score release day are next week, which means now is as good a time as any for an LSAT horror story. I’ll get this haunted hayride started with my recent traumatizing encounter with the October LSAT:

It was a dark and stormy night… scratch that, it was an overcast and gloomy morning. I normally wake up around noon, but the piercing alarm shook me from unconsciousness at the crack of dawn, which, boys and girls, is quite terrifying. It wouldn’t have been so bad had I gone to bed early the night before, as I always tell my students to do, but I had been fighting mono for about three weeks, and had spent the previous night tossing and turning in a pool of fever sweat.

After stumbling into the shower and getting dressed, I took my temperature. It was a relatively low 100 degrees, but I was still in no condition to take one of the most feared standardized tests known to man. But like any protagonist in a horror story, I stubbornly ignored reason and soldiered on. After having a delicious Ensure for breakfast (solid food had been off the table for a week), like a zombie I wandered to the LSAT testing center. In our room it was pretty cold, but I had my rising fever to keep me warm. I knew I should turn back, just cancel and get out of there, but I pressed on into my certain doom.

The LSAT was largely a blur, and before I knew it I was back home. The first thing I did was check my temperature, which had risen to above 102. However low my LSAT score turned out to be, at least it would be higher than my temperature.

And like any good horror story, this one ends with a cliffhanger. I didn’t cancel my LSAT score. The end of my LSAT horror tale is still to be written. Fittingly, LSAT scores are scheduled to be emailed on Halloween, so people across America might be facing a fate similar to mine in about a week.

What about you guys? What’s your scariest LSAT horror story?

7 Responses

  1. Mike says:

    Your alarm shook you from consciousness? Are you trying to say that you believe that a dream-like state is true consciousness, and that by waking from it you enter into an unconscious state of existence?


  2. Manny says:

    Colin, you already heard this one but here it is again:

    This is probably not the craziest story you’ve heard, but it’s definitely up there.

    The last time I took the test it was in the same room and the same row (at Rutgers). Everything went smoothly and we were let out on time with no hiccups.

    This time was very different. As we were walking in, a lady collected our LSAT tickets and was organizing them in alphabetical order. I was too tired and focused on the test to think about it at the time, but after five minutes in my seat, I realized we needed that info for our sheets. I brought this up with the guy in the front, but he said it’s not a problem and that “it will all come out in the wash”. He then began lecturing about the law profession and about how everyone lies. He then started asking people to raise their hands if they were from rutgers, if this was their second time taking the test and other oddly personal questions. He then said that he’s just buying time for the late people to show up (about 15 minutes worth). He also sternly said that he took cheating very seriously and in a weirdly threatening manner that if he caught someone cheating, he would make sure their test was void right then and there. The proctors then began passing out the test booklets. As that was happening, something keep beeping and all the test takers in the room kept looking around to see what it was. A guy in the last row was setting his digital watch. He was clicking to set the time and the beeping happened for about 4 minutes. The proctors did not even acknowledge a noise was going on. Then the guy in front began reading instructions and told us to start filling in our account numbers on the booklet. Thats when they realized that we needed the tickets. Apparently, the proctors thought the most efficient way of handling this was to read out people’s names and their account numbers (there were about 40 of us in the room and they didnt realize that we needed the account number for another part of the test). They also then started reading their personal information out loud too. I raised my hand and told them out loud that it would be quicker to redistribute the tickets and that they were violating people’s privacy. The proctors agreed and then redistributed the tests. Right before the first section was begun, the guy began setting his digital watch again (which apparently takes more than a few clicks). During our first section, the guy in front (to whom I proceeded to take an intense dislike for his off hand comments and preachiness) started calling out peoples names during the test and asking people if they were here. After the fifth name, a girl a row down from me raised her hand and asked him to stop, and he told her that the next one would be the last one. After the break, one of the test takers came back with a large bookbag into the test room. When one other proctor noticed that he had it after he had sat down, she told the guy in front that he wasn’t supposed to have it. They made him put it in the back, but then the guy in front said, “Israel, I can’t believe you would do that.” or something to that effect. When they passed out the writing sample sheets, one of the test takers began writing his name on the sheet and the guy in front noticed and proceeded to yell at him for having his pencil in his hand, even though we were clearly supposed to be filling out the booklet at that time. The second they collected the booklets and dismissed us, I bolted out of there because I was afraid I would say something to that guy if he said something to me, and that he would do something to my test (which sound a bit over dramatic but this guy had some screw loose and i wouldnt put it past him). I have no idea whether I should write up a complaint to LSAC or not. I dont think any of this stuff had an effect on my score but it was definitely not the best testing environment.

  3. Chelsea says:

    We are in the exact same boat. I, too, struggled through the LSAT battling mono, the fever, everything. Except there were no signs at the testing center to direct me to the proper building, so despite arriving 20 minutes early, I was so late that I was almost not admitted, after *running* full-tilt (in a skirt and flip-flops) across a large campus with a high fever and nausea. And then, as I stood there panting, doubled over and ready to pass out, they told me they weren’t going to admit me because I had gum in my Ziploc bag. Thankfully, I talked them out of that one. And they also wouldn’t let me use the restroom before the test. Complete and utter nightmare. And I didn’t cancel my score. Good luck, I know I’m anxious to receive my score as well, but apparently Sandy has other plans.

    If it makes you feel any better though, I still have the mono (have had it for 4 months), and this is the second time in my life I’ve had it (despite being told it was a one-shot-deal, like the chicken pox). The first time I had it, I was 15 and I had it for a year and two months.

Leave a Reply

Your email will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>