This week, Major League Baseball suspended 13 players for doping, including superstar Alex Rodriguez. In honor of this latest PED scandal, we’ve put together an LSAT Logic Game that A-Rod would probably fail. If you can nail this one, you might be able to find employment in pro baseball as a personal logician (you’d be working closely with the personal chemists).
A professional baseball player is going to take exactly seven different drugs at some time during seven consecutive days. Drugs A and B are testosterone boosters, drugs C, D, and E are synthetic growth hormones, and drugs F, and G are masking agents. According to his personal chemist, the player must take the drugs consistent with the following rules:
A masking agent must be taken on any day that a testosterone booster is taken.
The player cannot take more than one testosterone booster per day, and he cannot take more than one growth hormone drug per day.
Growth hormone drugs cannot be taken on consecutive days.
Drug F must be taken on some day before drug C.
Drugs A and G cannot be taken on the same day as each other.
Drug D must be taken exactly two days after drug C.
1. Which one of the following is a complete and accurate list of the days on which the player cannot take drug E?
(A) 1, 2, 4
(B) 2, 3, 4
(C) 3, 4
(D) 4, 5
(E) 4, 5, 6
2. The player must take a masking agent before which one of the following days?
3. Each one of the following could be true EXCEPT
(A) The player takes drug G before he takes drug E
(B) The player takes drug C exactly one day before he takes drug B.
(C) The player takes drugs A and B on consecutive days.
(D) The player takes drug A after he takes drug D.
(E) The player takes three drugs on the same day.
4. If the player takes drug D on day 5, how many days are there on which the player can take drug A?
5. What is the maximum number of drugs the player can take before day 4?
6. If the player takes drug E on day 2, then how many days are there on which the player can take drug A?
7. Which one of the following, if substituted for the rule that drug F must be taken before drug C, would have the same effect in determining the days on which the player can take each drug?
(A) Drug G must be taken at some time after drug D
(B) Drug F must be taken at some time before drug D
(C) Drugs E and A cannot be taken on consecutive days
(D) Drug A must be taken at least three days before drug D
(E) Drug C must be taken after drug G
1) D; 2) E; 3) D; 4) A; 5) E; 6) B; 7) D